No, this email is not about careers. And if you make it to item #10, you'll see why.
On November 8th, 2016, the world changed. Some people are celebrating. Some people are grieving. A lot of people are scared.
Regardless of how/if you voted and who you support, the fact is that we now have data showing us just how divided we are as a nation.
As a caring person, what can you do today, this week, and this year to help others? This is a question we should all be asking.
- Tell liberals that you love them (if it’s true). They feel betrayed and fear persecution. You don’t have to understand their fear and grief to acknowledge it.
- Tell conservatives that you love them (it it’s true). They feel mischaracterized. You don’t have to respect their vote to treat them with respect.
- When someone makes you mad, feel the anger. Then, pause and try to imagine why that person might have said what they said or did` what they did based on their life experience.
- If you are hurting, take time to mourn and fear. Be gentle with yourself. Recovery takes the time that it takes, so don’t try to rush it.
- Gather. Talk with people it feels safe to talk with.
- Process. Write letters that you’ll never send, scream at the sky, make art. You cannot keep your thoughts and feelings stagnant and stay healthy; they need movement.
- Learn about and from people whose opinion differs from yours. We have to try to communicate and understand each other. You don’t have to like what you learn, but you need to know why people do the things they do.
- Decide what you want your personal legacy to be. History will remember what is happening now. How do you want to be remembered? What do you want to be able to tell your grandchildren that you did?
- Answer any callings you hear. They don’t have to be big and they might not involve your job. If you feel moved to take action, do it.
- Be a leader. Do this in your own way, but do it. Don’t wait for others to start a Facebook group or foundation or conversation. We need YOU to lead, too. We ALL need to lead.
Take care of yourself. Keep your integrity. Look out for others.